Wednesday 29 August 2012

Lengthen hamstrings to improve performance

Having been an avid Yogi for more years than I care to count, I've always thought that my hamstrings have always been fairly flexible. I've always known that its not my most bendy area, and that there's certainly room for improvement, but on the whole I've been fairly satisfied.

BUT!  I've recently learned that my hamstrings are short enough to impact a variety of excersizes, and that this wonderful Yoga flexibility where I can get my head on my knees has more to do with how bendy my back is.  It's great that I have a flexible spine, but shorter hamstrings is having a negative impact on my rowing technique, ability to do squats and burpies, etc.

When doing a squat, you should keep you back straight through the entire motion, but I'm finding at the bottom end of the squat my back is collapsing.  I thought this was down to a weak back, but evidently at the bottom of the squat when you knees are bent the most, the hamstring pulls on the seat bone.  If your hamstrings are not long enough the seat bone will be pulled too hard and so your lower back will become rounded as your bottom tucks under you.

So, what causes tight hamstrings?
In my case it's high heels shortening both my calf and hamstring muscles, sitting at a desk all day, and over-relying on yoga for all my flexibility.

So I'm going to embark on a two week 'lengthening' programme to increase the length of my hamstrings, and I'll keep you posted with a daily diary here.

Some stretching and lengthening I'll be including are:

Laying down leg lift:
Lie flat on the floor with your legs out straight.  Raise one leg as far into the air as you can and hold in lace with your hands behind the thigh (if your hands don't reach without your shoulders or head lifting from the ground, use a belt or towel held in each hand).  Hold for two minutes, increasing the intensity as the feeling of stretch fades. Gently lower the leg back to the floor.

Repeat with other leg.

Try to do this at least twice a day.

The 'Harry Potter':
This is one my trainer showed me.  Be warned - if you have tight hamstrings, the first few times you do this will be a bit uncomfortable, but it will ease off as your mucles loosen.

Find a railing (such as on a fence or climbing frame) or sturdy edge, such as the back of the chair.  It must be secure so that it won't fall off or over, or in a position that you could fall over the edge of a building or stairway, etc.  It will also need to be slightly lower than your pelvis (or lower still if you're very stiff) so you may need to raise yourself slightly by standing on a sturdy box, block or telephone directory.

Stand on one leg and place the other over the bar, so the bar sits just behind your bent knee.  Now, keeping your back straight, straighten the leg, hold for a moment and then relax.  Repeat 7 more times.

Now move your leg forwards by 2 inches, so your knee is further away from the bar, and the bar is closer to your bottom, and repeat straightening your leg another 8 times. Keep moving the bar up the back of your thigh by a couple of inches and straighten your leg 8 times until you reach the base of your buttock.

Carefully release your leg.

Repeat with other leg

Desk stretch:

Stretch your hamstring while sitting on a chair or at your desk. This is a comfortable exercise for those who already have Sciatica or back pain, and it can be done at your desk at work. Extend your left leg out, point your toes up and then down. Feel the pull at the back of the knee. Hold for a few minutes and then bring the leg back.

Stretch as many times as you can, and then repeat with the other leg.

Don't forget that trainers have padding in the heel, which will also encourage shortening down the back of your legs, so always try to do these stretches barefoot (this will also encourage stability in the ankle muscles too).

And remember - if it hurts STOP.  Pain is your friend - it tells you to stop otherwise you'll damage yourself. A bit of discomfort and a pulling, stretching sensation is OK, but don't hurt yourself.  Once of the main principles of Yoga is 'non-violence', and this means to yourself as well as others.




No comments:

Post a Comment