Tuesday 14 August 2012

Born To Run

A couple of years ago I bought my then fiance a book called 'Born To Run' by Christopher McDougal.  He absolutely loved it, and I added it to my 'To Read' list.

The book then started to make the rounds with then fiance's friends, and I promptly forgot about it, until my Personal Trainer, James, told me he was attending an event where he would actually get the chance to meet the author.

James returned from the event full of enthusiasm for Mr McDougals knowledge and techniques, which inspired me to actually finally read the book.  Now, the original copy that I gave my now husband was likely to take another two years before finishing the rounds and coming home to us, so I downloaded a copy to my Kindle.

It's one of the best reads I've had for a long time.  Rather than summarise it myself, I've pulled the below off from Christopher McDougal's website:


Full of incredible characters, amazing athletic achievements, cutting-edge science, and, most of all, pure inspiration, Born to Run is an epic adventure that began with one simple question: Why does my foot hurt? In search of an answer, Christopher McDougall sets off to find a tribe of the world's greatest distance runners and learn their secrets, and in the process shows us that everything we thought we knew about running is wrong.

Isolated by the most savage terrain in North America, the reclusive Tarahumara Indians of Mexico's deadly Copper Canyons are custodians of a lost art. For centuries they have practiced techniques that allow them to run hundreds of miles without rest and chase down anything from a deer to an Olympic marathoner while enjoying every mile of it.

This book was such an eye opener for me.  It really helped me get back in touch with why I fell in love with running in the first place.  It's not about constantly improving my time, or just the work out.  Its for the pure love of being strong and free and alive!  And yes I want to continue getting faster and running for longer, but not at the expense of pleasure!

For my next run I left the iPod at home, and  listened to my own breathing, the birds singing and the foliage rustling in the breeze.  It was still hard work, but infinitely more pleasurable.

If you get the chance, beg, borrow or buy a copy - it's really worth a look if you're interested in running, anthropology or even just human interest stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment