Thursday 30 August 2012

Fivefinger 5K Leith Hill, Surrey, 15/09/12

Whilst I was in the gym this morning I got chatting to a guy wearing Vibram Five Fingers.  I wanted to find out how he was getting on with them, and he was loving them! Now, Barefoot Ken Bob believes that whilst VFF's are miles better than modern running shoes AND other minimalist running shoes, he also believes that unless you have good form and experience running totally barefoot, they will teach you poor form. He does concede that they are a great tool for runners living in a colder climate to his native California, so they are something that I would like to try.  They are not cheap however, and as my second toe is a little longer than my first toe (I'm not a mutant - promise - it's something 10% of the population have) I'm worried about the fit.

Random gym guy hadn't experienced any discomfort between his toes, but did advise that the fit between styles can differ considerably, so he believed it was important to try them on before buying.

Over the course of the conversation, random gym guy told me about a barefoot 5K coming up in a couple of weeks (also open to minimalist and VFF runners).  It's more of a meet up event and is followed by a BBQ.  Looks like fun - I'm not sure if I'll be up to 5K yet, but I'll give it a go if I can!

The race is called the Fivefinger 5K at Leith Hill, Surrey on  Saturday September 15th, and is only a fiver. Bargain considering its a BBQ too.

Read more at:
http://shop.primallifestyle.com/saturday-september-15th---fivefinger-5k-leith-hill-surrey-1799-p.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment